The question from patients was “Do you use Gummy Bear Implants?”
Several patients have asked me if I use “Gummy Bear” Breast Implants. To help patients understand what those actually are, I responded to a recent patient’s inquiry as follows:
My answer: I use highly cohesive gel implants almost exclusively except when a patient specifically requests saline implants.
Gummy Bear Implants are anatomical shaped (teardrop shaped) breast implants instead of the round traditional implants. Highly cohesive gel silicone implants maintain their shape if cut in half, however, they are softer and more bouncy feeling than Gummy Bear Implants. Women who have traditional Gel Silicone Implants report that they feel like a soft, natural breast at a higher rate than women who have the other.
Gummy Bear Breast Implants have both a silicone shell and a silicone gel filling and can retain their shape even if their shells are broken. This is because the gel is a bit thicker.
The Term “Gummy Bear” is actually a nickname for these Teardrop-Shaped, Gel-Based Implants. Introduced in the mid-2000s, Gummy Bear Implants are also known as a highly cohesive gel implant are the result of a product that’s technically been around for more than a century.
Yes, I can use the anatomically shaped implants but please read about the disadvantages in this article. We encourage you to visit our Breast Implant and Breast Enhancement Gallery to view before and after results of my patients.
The Disadvantages of Gummy Bear Implants
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants are more expensive.
- Plastic surgeons have been unable to tell a patient with round implants from a patient with anatomically shaped implants, so they do not look better or even different according to studies that involved 300 plastic surgeons.
- Anatomical Implants (Gummy Bear Implants) can rotate and look deformed, so they must be textured to prevent rotation from occurring.
- Textured implants are related to malignant cancer called giant cell anaplastic lymphoma.
- Gummy Bear Implants tend to feel firmer and less natural
Think of a Gummy Bear Implant like a jelly bean and a traditional Silicone Implant like a cube of Jell-O. Both will maintain their shape if cut in half. But a Gummy Bear Implant will feel firmer and be less squeezable, while a traditional Silicone Implant will be softer and more pliant.
Gummy Bear Breast Implants tend to be firmer than traditional Silicone Gel Implants
Gummy Bear Implants have no significant advantage in my opinion. If a patient wants to spend more on Gummy Bear Implants with the mentioned disadvantages, I will be happy to use them. 👍
Achieve “Natural Results with traditional round Cohesive Silicone Gel Implants”
My preference is smooth, round, highly cohesive gel implants like my patient on the picture above. This is after having experience with anatomical, textured and saline implants over the past 35 + years.
Plastic Surgery and especially as it relates to an implant must be studied by plastic surgeons and considered in great depth for the sake of the patient’s long-term health. Thankfully, there is hardly any subject that has been studied more than breast implants.
If you live in the coastal empire and are interested in Breast Implants feel free to book your appointment online. We offer complimentary consultations in Bluffton SC and Savannah GA.
* Edited by E. Jackson – DGM Global Marketing Solutions – * Sources include: E. Ronald Finger, MD, FACS, Health Line, StatPerls NCBI Bookshelf, Lara Devgan, MD, MPH, FACS;