Look Youthful Without Plastic Surgery!
If you want to look youthful without the hassle of plastic surgery, we can help.
At Finger and Associates Plastic Surgery Center and Savannah Anti-Aging & Rejuvenation Center, we believe in combining leading edge technology with skill and experience. Sometimes patients aren’t ready for face-lifts, and other times less invasive procedures are even better to achieve a younger, more natural appearance. Other times combinations including facelifts and other options are best. Facial rejuvenation must be assessed and treated individually, as all people age differently. .
HOW TO LOOK YOUTHFUL WITHOUT A FACELIFT
1. First, carefully choose your ancestors. Those with thicker skin and more melanin age slower and have less skin cancers. Scandinavian families have thinner, less pigmented skin from melanin in their skin, and much less elasticity, thus more sagging and sun damage issues.
2. Avoid sunshine. Sun damage begins in youth and is accumulative. More exposure equals more damage. Use sunscreen! Now that sunscreens are widely available, many are under the misconception that sunscreen is only needed if you’re sun tanning. Sunscreen should be applied every single day. Even riding in a car on a cloudy day can result in sun damage. Do you ever wonder why your left side seems to have more age spots than your right? To see what your skin would look like without sun exposure, look at the inside of your arms or the lower part of your breasts..
3. Avoid eating simple carbohydrates. This means sugar, white potatoes, rice, and white breads. All cause glycation which leads to premature aging of the skin which means more sagging. What is glycation? Glycation is an unwanted bond between a sugar and protein molecule that sticks to everything, such as elastin, enzymes, and collagen fibers. This causes sagging, hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and ultimately heart attacks and strokes.
4. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
5. Avoid smoking. An identical twin who smokes looks 10-15 years older than their non-smoking twin at fifty years old.
Obviously, it is impossible to choose one’s ancestors; however, following the other rules, one can significantly help. Once the damage is done, one can slow down or even reverse the effects of premature skin aging and sagging.
We also talked about common sun damage to your skin. What skin damage treatments are available to reverse sun damage available today?
1. Cosmeceuticals have evolved which actually do something. Prior to the 1980’s all that was available were topical creams that basically did nothing but moisturize. Now, cosmeceutical skin products have ingredients close to prescription strength, and studies has shown that these products can actually reverse skin damage, including DNA damage. The earlier one starts a daily skin care regimen, the better.
2. Botox or Dysport. These temporary “paralytics” are wildly popular with those in their 30’s because they will actually paralyze the muscles that create frown lines and laugh lines preventing them from getting deeper as they age. You’ll look youthful in no time!
3. Fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, Voluma and Sculptra. These products actually “re-volumize” the face in the areas that begin to lose volume due to losing their “baby fat”. Some of these products are now lasting over two years once injected and can lead to dramatic results of looking 5 to 10 years younger.
4. Fraxel Lasers, the “Gold Standard, removes tiny columns of tissue, thus removing up to 20% of the skin and tightening the skin, These lasers will remove the top layer of damaged, aged skin resulting in more youthful skin that glows. Often a Fraxel laser treatments combined with fillers can provide a stunning reversal of “turning back the clock”. You’ll be shocked when you start to look youthful without even trying!
5. Thermi Aesthetics and Liposuction. If one’s facial skin starts to sag to the point that fillers and skin care are not effective enough, there is a non surgical option, such as ThermiTight which can tighten the jowl and neck area as well as melt unwanted fat with no anesthesia and minimal downtime, and will have you beginning to look youthful faster than ever.
All of the above are non surgical, minimal recovery procedures; however the day may come when some feel that they would prefer to “undergo the knife” and have everything “fixed” at one time. This is when a facelift with possible eyelid lift, forehead lift, fat grafts or fillers are what the patient desires. The face lift is still the gold standard for turning back the clock, but there are now many options to look younger without actual surgery. However, due to improved surgical techniques, facial surgery can now be done under minimal anesthesia with a much shorter recovery than those performed in the past.